Friday, February 15, 2008

They're Not Just for Christmas

When I saw this wreath in an old issue of Martha Stewart Weddings, I knew I had to have it or something like it.


I have always been a big fan of a pretty wreath, but you do need to be careful not to stray too far into "something my grandma made" category. I think you do this by sticking to one flower/leaf/branch and only varying from that in the color of that flower.

I really wanted white floral wreaths hanging from the huge, gorgeous front doors of our church. Unfortunately because it is an older church (built in 1918) and is beloved by its parish, they have very strict rules about how you can decorate within the church. Since it is generally pretty ornate, I am not too worried about having large floral displays near the front doors or the altar. I can, carefully, hang something from the end of the pews. A wreath may be that very something!

This is pretty cost prohibitive, however, since a wreath of stephanotis or roses from my florist can cost around $80 each. I would need quite a few on the pew ends. I need to give it more thought, but I don't think that I have the willpower to make them myself the week of the wedding. IThis got me thinking of a Plan B. What flower is pretty inexpensive and comes in a large bloom idea for a wreath?


Yes, that is baby's breath. Yes, I normally rip baby's breath out of bouquets as soon as they are handed to me. It ranks right up there with the dreaded carnation (no offense to carnation lovers!). But... doesn't it being on its own make a big difference? I think it has a vintage feel in its little blooms with lots of texture and movement. It's white, which is key when the church has 1.2 million colors painted in the frescoes. Oh yeah, and its dirt cheap compared to roses or stephanotis.

Has anyone used a wreath in their wedding? Any other creative ways to make it happen? Also, if I made these myself with some of that green foam stuff, how long would it last?

No comments: