Monday, March 3, 2008

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

I was a very lucky girl on Sunday. All my bridesmaids met me at my mom's home for brunch, champagne cocktails and bridesmaids dresses. The ladies from Vegas to Venice brought over several sample dresses from Simple Silhouettes and a whole bunch of fun fabric swatches. The plan for the morning was to make a decision on the color, get everyone sized and pick out the dresses. Each bridesmaid could pick their own dress style, as long as it was knee length and any trim was the same color as the dress. Expectedly, we had a wonderful time together and spent hours catching up even after the dress ladies left. Also expectedly, they insisted on getting sized before we dug into these.

However, three unexpected things happened:

1) Between the 6 bridesmaids, three dresses were selected, 2 in each dress. 2, 2 and 2. Perfect!
2) My preppy friend and my "latest trends" friend chose the same dress
3) We chose the color and it is... purple.

I don't like purple. I don't own one purple item of clothing- I looked. But, this wasn't really purple. It was aubergine. Hello, aubergine!

After doing a little research, I found that aubergine is French for eggplant. The flickr devotees claim that it is not really purple but rather its own unique color. I am actually pretty excited about it. It plays really nicely into the color scheme that I had going- deep green, gold, ivory and very pale pink. My lovely sister/maid of honor came up with it and, since she is a fashion maven, I trust her completely. I had actually planned to go with chocolate brown dresses, but the maids thought that aubergine was a warmer, prettier color.

Everyone seemed to enjoy picking out their own dress and they look forward to wearing them. These wedding decisions can be difficult since everyone is inclined to say "whatever you want," even if you are begging for assistance. I am going to pretend like they were being completely honest with me :)

Here are the three dresses they selected. How do you think they will look in aubergine?





No comments: