Saturday, March 8, 2008

This is the Most Fun!

The Save the Date email for my bachelorette party went out yesterday! We are going to spend a few days on the lake in lovely Coloma, Michigan. Mr. Peacock's family has a condo right on the lake, with a party boat in the dock and a hilarious townie bar within walking distance. There isn't a place where I feel more relaxed and happy. I can't wait to spend a few days lounging around in swimsuits, drinking margaritas with all my favorite girls. I love it too because it will be pretty inexpensive, its only a few hours drive from Chicago and there is nary a stripper in site.

I am down in Austin, TX right now with Mr. Peacock enjoying the South By Southwest Interactive Conference. The sun is shining (unlike in Chicago) and the southern accents in Texas are so lovely. The combination of receiving that save the date and the accents are making me really wish that I had a copy of one of my all-time favorite movies with me- Shag.
Did anyone else watch this movie repeatedly as a teenager? I had such a mad crush on Buzz. Anyway, Shag is set in the 60's. Carson (Phoebe Cates) is engaged to be married to the heir of a tobacco fortune (Harley Ralston) and her three girlfriends are taking her one last trip before she becomes a married lady. Carson thinks that they are going on a trip to Fort Sumter to tour colonial homes, but instead they are going to dance with boys in Myrtle Beach. Bridget Fonda plays Malaina, the daughter of a minister who is dying to break out as an actress. Annabeth Gish plays Pudge, a formerly overweight and super shy girl who is looking for love. Page Hannah plays Luanne, the extremely proper daughter of a Senator. Its totally one of those movies where you start wondering why these four girls would be friends in the first place.

This movie rules because of all the fun oldies music, fabulous dance moves and classic teenage silliness. There are also some of the best movie lines of all time, including but not limited to "this is the most fun!", "beevo?" and "y'all is the horniest bunch of white folks I ever seen!" Aside from the fact that Carson leaves Harley for the smoking hot Buzz, that would be the best bachelorette trip ever. Maybe I can ask my friends to speak in southern accents and dance to 60's music with me. Maybe not...

Out-of-town bachelorette parties seem to be increasingly popular. Does anyone else have fun plans for a getaway?

No comments: