Monday, August 18, 2008

DISE: Do It, Someone Else

I believe that I have reached a stage in my planning where I am throwing in the towel on chunks of my to-do list. Its time to cash in my chips and admit my losses. Fortunately, I have a wonderful family and a few patient friends to help.
  1. I could not find a cake topper. After months of searching, I gave up this weekend. I asked my extremely talented aunt to make one for me and she gladly obliged. With only weeks to go, she will be making me two little lovebirds out of felt. That she makes herself. Out of wool. From her own sheep. Her craftiness is literally blowing my mind. I can't believe that I didn't ask her sooner!!! I sent her several little birds to serve as models and she is going to town. I didn't want to give too much direction because I trust her crafty skills.
  2. I never learned how to sew. This inhibited my ability to make little fabric pockets for my invites and covers for my programs. My mom and sister stepped up on the pockets and I dropped the programs. I haven't looked back. My mom and Mr. Peacock's mom are also making the flowergirl/junior bridesmaid dresses, although I never once thought that I could pull that off. Those poor girls would be walking down the aisle in silk potato sacks.
  3. I still don't understand Photoshop. Mr. Peacock had to make the little maps for our invites and he did a WAY better job than I ever could. He rules. This is one of the many things that he is doing for the wedding, and one of the many reasons that he rules.
  4. I cannot run the wedding myself and still have a good time. I hired a friend who is just starting a wedding coordination business to be my DOC. I'm not sure what your definition of "day of" is, but it probably doesn't include running venue walkthroughs and handling crabby vendors well before that big day. Mr. Peacock called her my insurance policy this morning and I could not agree more.
Before I became a student, I planned events for a living. I loved my job. I have never been worried about losing my cool throughout this process. I had a very "been there, done that" attitude. A wedding is a unique event, at least for the people getting married. There are some crazy emotions involved and, frankly, I am getting a little tired. Thank goodness I have all these wonderful people to support me :)

Is anyone else learning to love delegating?

No comments: