Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Have Issues with Food

We picked our caterer very carefully. It is, by far, our biggest expense. There are quite a few good caterers in Chicago, each with a unique perspective on cooking and serving. After emailing the ten caterer's on my venue's preferred caterer list, we requested sample proposals from the six that responded. We read through all of their materials and menus and considered the customer service that we had received thus far. We narrowed the list down to two.

Both were large catering companies, well known in Chicago, with very experienced head chefs. One of my bridesmaids worked for Company A at the time, although she was in their marketing department and we were assigned a different sales person. Company B's sales person blew me away with her customer service and their take on fresh, local products really impressed me and Mr. Peacock. They also have an "assistant" who is, basically, at my beck and call that evening- setting up place cards, making sure that Mr. P and I have drinks and appetizers and packing up our gifts at the end of the night. Sweet, right?

My first tasting was with Company B. Mr. Peacock was not able to come with me, so I dragged my BFF Erin along and we took notes. There were a few misses, but most of the food was really amazing. We were able to pack up and take home the leftovers, which Mr. P devoured right when he walked in the door. The food was cold and anything that was originally crunchy was no longer, but he still loved it. Company A's tasting was nothing compared to Company B. They tried to pass off a mini quiche was a deep dish pizza (Come on! We live in Chicago!) and they didn't take any of our suggestions into consideration when preparing the tasting menu. The customer service was also sub par. In fact, I still haven't heard from them since the tasting a year and a half ago.

I happily called Company B to let them know of my decision. Since then, I have had quite a few wonderful conversations with my sales person. She was always prompt, emailing me back within 10 minutes of sending it, even on Sundays! Her knowledge of the business was incredible. Then, I got the email of doom #1- she was leaving Company B to become a hot shot at another big catering company. I was honestly heartbroken. I set up one last meeting with her and her "replacement" (I will call her Sally) so that I could feel confident in their services again. The meeting went well and I walked away assured. Until email of doom #2 arrived from Sally, introducing me to the true replacement, "Nancy". Apparently Sally was simply filling in in the interim. I could either decide to stay with her or work with Nancy. I left the topic alone for awhile to think about it. I was confused, and very unhappy with how they had handled the situation. I was set to meet with Sally again at the rental company's warehouse to select my chairs, tables, dishes, etc. in a few weeks and I would make a decision after that meeting.

Sally didn't show up at the warehouse. In response to an email that I had sent her the night before, she called me that morning to let me know that she wasn't aware of the meeting (although we had discussed it at our first meeting) and that she didn't need to be with me. She felt that my mom and I could handle it without her. She was wrong. The warehouse visit went poorly because their salespeople weren't sure what Company B would need to prepare the food, serve the coffee and create the bar. I wasn't able to place my order and I walked away crabby.

I have my first meeting with Nancy this afternoon. I am already frustrated with them. I am very concerned because this is my biggest bill and the vendor that I will have the most contact with leading up to the wedding day. I chose Company B because the food was good, but truly it was for the customer service. I hadn't been planning on hiring a Day of Coordinator, but these experiences (along with conversations that I have had with other Company B brides and coordinators) have caused me to rethink that move. The wedding is in less than three months. It has been smooth sailing until this point, and now I am starting to worry.

Has anyone else had a big vendor flake out on them so close to the wedding day?

No comments: