Monday, June 30, 2008

You're My Best Friend... Maybe

After tossing around a million ideas for our programs, I have finally decided on a design. They will look like a combo of these:



My mom and I are using fabric to finish off our invitations (more on those later- they are due to arrive by the end of the week!) and I thought it would be fun to incorporate that theme into our ceremony.

I thought it might be fun to put a love quote on the back of the programs. Mr. Peacock and I don't exactly share a love of books. He is more of an online/magazine article guy with some business text books thrown in for good measure. We do, however love music. We started listing some of our favorite love songs and looking online for their lyrics. Trying to find a romantic set of lyrics was much more difficult than we imagined.

As a place holder, I put this quote from You're My Best Friend by Queen.

You're my sunshine
And I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
You're my best friend

It has the perfect combination of being sweet, to the point, could be said by either of us and recognizable. We aren't exactly huge Queen fans, however, so we decided to keep looking. We tried the Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Band and Wilco. Digging through Wilco lyrics was particularly painful because we both love them so much and yet the "love" songs are about break-ups, distance or are just filled with craziness, rendering them inappropriate for our programs. Take, for instance, "I'm the Man who Loves You." This is the song that the lead singer dedicates to his wife at every concert.

All I can see is black and white
And white and pink with blades of blue
That lay between the words I think on a page
I was meaning to send to
You I couldn't tell if it'd bring my heart
The way I wanted when I started
Writing this letter to you
But if I could you know I would
Just hold your hand and you'd understand
I'm the man who loves you


It doesn't leave you with a warm fuzzy, does it? I know it seems like the Beatles should have a good one, but none of them worked as well as that Queen song. In the end, we gave in to Freddie Mercury and he is still sitting on the back page. I would love some recommendations!

No comments: