Thursday, July 24, 2008

Like Looking For A Peony In September

I looooove peonies. Love, love, love. They grow like crazy around my parent's home in June and then quickly disappear in July.

Peonies courtesy of Mama Peacock

The multitude of soft, romantic petals in just the perfect shade of pale pink and the dark, shiny leaves make them perfect for my wedding decor. My September wedding decor. D'oh! I found this bouquet on Livia Cetti's site and it pretty much summed up what I wanted all the flowers to look like: soft, loose, pale pink, shades of white, lots of greens and a hint of aubergine.


I have been searching for something big and soft to replace those peonies. My florist is on board and seems to be enjoying the challenge. I have received a few great suggestions, including dahlias and ranunculus. In order to test drive this idea, I purchased a "dinner plate" dahlia for my mom as a birthday gift. Holy Moley, is this thing awesome!


Just for comparison's sake, and I have ginormous hands, but this thing is HUGE! And its not done opening yet!

We also bought her a normal sized white dahlia, and it is quite beautiful, too.


Has anyone else been on the hunt for an out-of-season flower or its replacement?

No comments: