Thursday, July 31, 2008

Putting My Bridesmaids To Work

... on their own gifts!

I surprised my bridesmaids a few weeks ago with a trip to the 1154 Lill Studio in Lincoln Park to make custom handbags as their bridesmaid gift. I was able to keep it on the DL until they arrived, which was no small feat, and treated them to a little champagne, cheese and these amazing key lime tarts. I gave each 'maid a gift certificate to cover the cost of a Grace plus tax and let them go to town!

The LP store is their flagship store, so there were two floors of custom bag goodness.

All the fabrics!

Mmmm... key lime tarts...

My sister/MOH Elise, Erin and the very popular Yellow Stone fabric.

I brought along a sample of the bridesmaid dress fabric (the aubergine swatch on top) so that they could match the dress. I let them select whatever fabric they wanted, but most of them opted to create something for the wedding day.

Trying to act "candid."

The bridesmaids and my mom. She made a very pretty little Grace.

We had a lot of fun messing the store up. There were fabric swatches everywhere! In the end, we had each created (at least) one bag that will be ready a few weeks before the wedding. I made one to match my shoes and the ribbon that I bought for my bouquet. I am sure that my sister will end up keeping track of my lip gloss, but I couldn't stay out of the fun!

For anyone interested in doing the same, we had private space in the store where we could set up our snacks and construct our bags- although we did not have the store to ourselves. They do home parties (like the one Mrs. Penguin attended) for those who do not have a store close by, or who would simply rather do it at home.

Does anyone else have a fun, social idea for a bridesmaids gift?

No comments: